Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Yes, David Bowie is a genius.  But don’t we all know that everything changes, becomes transformed?  And so it goes with the world of fiber – weaving, silk fusion, book arts.

My last post showed this handmade silk fusion piece with inclusions of skeleton leaves, angel wings, and angelina fibers.

Silk Fusion with soy silk, tussah silk noils and inclusions

Silk Fusion with soy silk, tussah silk noils and inclusions

And this is how the piece transformed.

Silk fusion in woven form

Silk fusion in woven form

I cut the silk fusion paper into strips and mixed them up a little, then wove the strips to form a square . This piece was mounted onto handmade Thai unryu or kozo paper.  I think it looks a little more interesting and dramatic than the original piece. Definitely more frame worthy!

Here are some randomly arranged strips from another silk fusion piece which I made and then managed to cut.

Randomly arranged cut strips from silk fusion

Randomly arranged cut strips from silk fusion

I think I may loom weave the strips as weft with a fine cotton warp.   The contrasting shape and texture of 10/2 pearl cotton may pull the piece together into a more pleasing visual image.

Don’t know if I should do anything to change this silk fusion paper that I made with soy silk, tussah silk noils, gold flakes and gold metallic fiber.

Silk fusion paper with gold flakes and gold metallic fiber

Silk fusion paper with gold flakes and gold metallic fiber

It reminds me of an abstract painting.  I may just mount it on some handmade paper and frame it.

And here is the last transformation.  If you’ve been following my blog, then you know that I am a huge music fan, and that I listen to almost everything, or so it seems.  So I  have found myself with a small collection of old 45 RPM vinyl records.  I don’t have a record player anymore, and in fact can’t seem to remember the last one I had!  And I felt a need to transform these records into something.  I didn’t think I could easily weave with them, so I decided to make a prototype of a blank journal with two records as the front and back covers.

front cover of blank journal made from a recycled 45 vinyl record

front cover of blank journal made from a recycled 45 RPM vinyl record

I then bound the signatures together using painted tyvek tape and the herringbone and kettle stitch combination I learned from the workshop I took with Daniel Essig.

heringbone binding recycled vinyl

My stitches and signatures are a bit funky, but it’s a prototype.  With a little bit of practice I think I can polish this concept and figure out how to make the center opening more appealing. It’s a start.  I see it as a transformation in progress.  Ch-ch-ch-changes…..

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: